Photo
- - - - -

Is Linux OS something an average Joe can load and use?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 sk528

sk528

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I had a test drive today with that one and it's quite attractive even it messed my time in Win7 - no harm taken
Posted Image
....same like Mint the boot up was full of page faults concerning AMD-VI if I got that right.
What disturbs me a bit is it's made from/for lefthanders apparently - is there a way to get the 3 small window buttons to the right side? or is there an option to set it for right handers in general?
thanks for hints!

#122 FelicityStorm

FelicityStorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Not sure how to fix that issue but being a lefty in a right handed world you righties shouldn't complain about the random left handed issue. lol! 99.8% of everything is geared to the right handed person that the left handed person spends their life adapting to which is not fun.

#123 sk528

sk528

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
if there would be an option to set this (left/right) as an UI default. I guess little/nifty things like this will have to wait until the next millennium perhaps?

#124 kevinthefixer

kevinthefixer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Simply right-click on a button, click "Move". Drag-and-drop the button wherever you'd like it, it will stick. Please beware that 15.04 is not a long-term-support version; 14.04 is. Some Ubuntu users like 14 better anyway.

#125 Lee Koo (ADMIN)

Lee Koo (ADMIN)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Question:
Is Linux OS something an average Joe can load and use?

I don't know if you've noticed, but every time your newsletter's discussion is about upgrading to a new operating system, someone always spouts off "just use Linux!" While I always thought these comments were unhelpful to the discussion itself, one day I started wondering about this free operating system. So here's my questions for the people who always boast Linux as an alternative operating system. Honestly, how realistic is it for the average "Joe" Windows user to install and use a Linux? I have an ancient Dell laptop running XP just collecting dust and there's no chance in hell that it would be ever be upgradable to any modern Windows OS, so I thought maybe I could possibly revive it by using Linux as the alternative OS and tinker with it. By no means am I a technical person, but what I'm willing to do is learn something new and to see if Linux is something easy enough that I can possibly set up on my old laptop and actually make use of it. If any of you veteran Linux users can give me some ideas of what Linux to use, the effort it would be needed to take on this challenge, I'd love to hear about the process, and the pros/cons about Linux. The information you provide will help me determine if this challenge is within my technical reach. Thanks for the help in advance.
--Submitted by: Roger F.

#126 sk528

sk528

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
... Yep, I dint know that, thanks, but see my comment for Lefties above would be the best idea to fix this problem UI wide and for both sides.

#127 Cookeefried

Cookeefried

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Roger F,
My DELL became slow. I looked for youtbe install vids, they are fantastic. My advice is, make a backup of all your documents, for all drives, if there are will be reformatted.
I installed Linux Mint, when I first restarted, my internet connection was running and all updates were installed. All the software 'average Joe's' can think of are allready there. Office, E-mail, Firefox, Video and Audioplayers, and much much more. Everything else is in the software centre and installing is as simple as 'click on install'.
Firefox took 20 seconds to start in windows... in Linux... 6 seconds.
The good thing is, the total system including all software takes much less GB than Windows and therefore is much faster.
I do miss Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but there are FREE Linux alternatives.
Since then I have installed different distro's of Linux on pc of other people and they all love it. And if there is a problem with anything there is a great community to help you.
It is a good idea to burn a Linux version on a Dvd. You'll find instructions on Youtube.
Then run that DVD in the old windows on your DELL and try out your internet, graphics, webcam, e.a.
I took it to my brothers windows-network and the windows-pc's could only enter Linux if I wanted to, so it is much safer than windows. And Linux is so easy to adapt and safe and so fast. I hope this helped you.
Frederick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users