Photo
- - - - -

Motherboard memory speed compatibility (oc?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matt11b

Matt11b

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Another MB question. A particular board I am looking at says the memory it supports is..

Support for DDR3 2400(OC)/2133/1866/1600/1333 MHz memory modules

Now, the 2400 (OC), does this mean I put a 2400 module in, then overclock it to that speed or something? Can I just put any 2400 module in it? Thanks!

Matt

#2 beers

beers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
Which board? A lot of times you'll see the 'official specification' be listed even though the platform can support higher frequencies. You'd essentially be 'overclocking' to reach those speeds, although they are provided as options within the BIOS. Also, if you apply XMP/DOCP then the specified profile in the timing table of the RAM will be applied.

#3 Matt11b

Matt11b

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Specifically this board. Just a cheap one for a budget rig. Now what do you mean I would be overclocking to reach 2400? If the RAM says 2400, shouldn't it already run at 2400? Would I use a 2133 instead and overclock it to 2400? Sorry i'm a little noob.

http://www.amazon.co...=ttgdiscount-20

#4 beers

beers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
The memory controller is only officially rated to 2133, at 2400 that may be the RAM's designed frequency, but from an 'official standards' perspective you'd be running the controller out of spec (ie, overclocked).

#5 Matt11b

Matt11b

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
So should I buy a 2400 chip with this particular board then?

#6 johnb35

johnb35

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts
The speed difference between 2133 and 2400mhz is really not noticeable. If 2400 is cheaper then 2133 then get the 2400.

#7 Shlouski

Shlouski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Just keep in mind the performance difference between 1600mhz and 2400mhz is very small, only real difference would be in graphic performance if you were using an APU. The performance difference between 2133mhz and 2400mhz is almost non existent even in software designed especially to benchmark memory, there would be no real world benefit between them.

#8 Matt11b

Matt11b

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Yes I am using an APU and that is why I want the faster memory.
Posted Image

#9 tylerjrb

tylerjrb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
The OC means it will have to be overclocked. It also doesnt mean it will neccessarily run at that speed either as beers said its not officially tested to that speed. But like said if 2400 is cheaper get that. If it wont run you will have to underclock it to 2133mhz anyway.

#10 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
This. If you use 2400MHz memory, it will run at 2133MHz unless you go into the BIOS and manually raise it to 2400MHz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users