• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WhoX

WhoX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I never understood the purpose in a high gloss flat panel display. You see the reflection of just about everything behind you, which is extremely annoying. The larger the display the more it reflects your surroundings. Try photo editing or playing games with all that extra commotion on the screen. The first time I saw glossy displays I recognized it as a gimmick for manufacturers to sell their product, similar to the 3D fad. Now you see manufacturers advertising non-glare displays as an extra feature.

#2 ian

ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say they are a gimmick. I think photos and videos look nicer on a glossy display. My TV has a glossy display and it looks great, but as far as monitors go I have always bought matte anti-glare screens.

#3 Jiniix

Jiniix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
If you sit in an otherwise completely dark room they're quite nice. Problem is they reflect a lot.

#4 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
They are great if you don't have light sources behind you like lights or windows.

#5 Shlouski

Shlouski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
This is very true. I have a plasma with a high gloss screen and i love it, my favorite tv, but especially because its a plasma I use it in a dark room. Also lets be fair, non glare screens aren't non glare, they are less glare, well at least all the ones I have ever seen. Non glare don't have the mirror effect that glossy ones do, but you can still get light reflected from light sources.

#6 StrangleHold

StrangleHold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
Hate gloss monitors and TVs. Reflections and finger prints drive me crazy.

#7 Shlouski

Shlouski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Easy solution unless its a touchscreen, a glossy touchscreen would be a bad idea for sure.

#8 spirit

spirit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
I prefer glossy to matte because colours look better, meaning that videos and photos look better. However Geoff is right the glare can be a problem so make sure you use it away from light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users