• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AmsterDan

AmsterDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi there,

I have a fairly general question regarding internal SSDs to which I can't seem to find the answer to quite yet and hoped to find it here!

Just wondering whether one could download (music/video/documents) to an external HDD to save on the amount of writing which otherwise would occur on the internal SSD? I personally tend to sift through my downloads, delete a bunch I don't need to then realize that this would plainly be excessive writing to the SSD, which I guess most of us would want to minimize.

Reason for asking is because I don't know whether this will actually save writing on the SSD or not. I'm looking forward to your insights! Thanks in advance.

#2 porterjw

porterjw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Yes. Just choose the HDD as the target for download. A lot of us with SSDs will use them only for the OS, opting to keep all other files on a traditional platter Drive.

#3 voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Your SSD will outlive you with read and write cycles.

#4 Okedokey

Okedokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
^ this, don't bother, SSD is fine for write and read cycles.

#5 beers

beers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
How much data would you estimate is being written on a daily basis? Even older drives like the C300 128GB+ were rated for 72 TB of writes.

#6 AmsterDan

AmsterDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the replies! Maybe I've gotten a bit of the scare bug then. From reading and hearing I've come to understand that there's a limitation as to how much a SSD can write after which it dies. I've had a SSD as my sole hard drive for over a year now with 1TB written. (Including some switching and reinstalling of OS's, relevant software and files.) I'm not planning on nearly using my computer as much in upcoming years, so considering older SSDs with a rating of 72 TB writes, my computer probably will have been drowned in orange juice because of the kids, pissed on by the cat or thrown out the window by myself much earlier than the death of this SSD. (Samsung 840 EVO.) Something new learned! Would anyone know the general life span of this drive?

#7 Okedokey

Okedokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
Around 8 years of constant write.

#8 AmsterDan

AmsterDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts