• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Denison

James Denison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Comparison of time and effort to install windows 10 in comparison to Ubuntu.
(Hint = Mint does a step less than Ubuntu!) I know I always dread doing a windows setup and never have the same dread of a Linux setup, although the first time or two there was some dread due to not knowing what to expect beyond the last time I'd used it, which had been Knoppix version 4. The first system I installed since those days was Kubuntu and wow, I was amazed at how easy it was, couldn't even believe it was Linux since it had advanced so much.
"Installation is not the issue holding people back. If the average user were tasked with installing either Windows 10 or Ubuntu 15.04, chances are they'd shudder at the thought of installing either (when, in reality, both are really quite simple). As for upgrading? Both systems have their pros and cons. The nod to ease of use would very much go to Ubuntu in this case...." (more at link)

#2 renegade600

renegade600

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
If the user is new to linux, I would not recommend Ubuntu because of unity desktop. I would recommend kubuntu or kde version of linux mint. Those are the closer to looking like windows than the other desktops and not as confusing.

#3 James Denison

James Denison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
but neither am I a "Unity" fan. It's better than W8's GUI but reminds me a bit too much of W8.

#4 R. Proffitt

R. Proffitt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
To match the number of steps or add more I use this site ->
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

More steps = more of a workout. Genius!

#5 James Denison

James Denison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
Don't forget to FDISK, FORMAT, and SYS the system onto it, then use the i386 folder to find the
winnt32.exe file that allows a DOS install
, but to avoid making it too slow, also run DOS
smartdrv
command. Don't forget the
Autoexec.bat
and
Config.sys
files to even allow a CD to be accessed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users